Monday, August 16, 2010

Year One.

(The name doesn't refer to the movie,but yes, took the name from there. Seemed apt.)

One year in the Big Apple. One year in one of the world's largest cities. One year in the most populated city in the United States. It's definitely been an interesting year. Learnt so much. About myself. About a lot of things. New York City has been such a change and I love this city.

A year ago, when I left home for the first time , it was an adventure to look forward too. My first trip abroad. The start of a new chapter. A Masters Degree. Taking away unimaginable memories from 21 and a half years in the same city. Where I grew up. Where I spent my childhood. Where I had my first kiss. Where I had my first break-up. The city where I learnt everything about life. Till I left. I was looking forward to this new beginning. Being away from home for the first time. Meeting new people. Living on my own. Having family around the city was definitely helpful. Helped my get my bearings and not being overwhelmed by the fact that I was in a new country. A new world.

I remember landing and my sheer excitement of being here. Where I've always wanted to be. Not NYC , but the US. Driving back to Daya Anna's house, looking outside like a 5 year old. Learning to cook for the first time. And actual food. Not the omelette like i did back home. It was incredible. And it only got better. I remember the first time I stepped out in the city. Yes, I was lost :) . I remember looking all the way up at the skyscrapers at 34th street. The feeling I got when I saw NYU Poly for the first time. Signing up for classes. Playing the basketball game at the Orientation. I was thrilled. Then Daya Anna left for my house(irony) and I was left to fend for myself for the first time in 21 years. Managed to survive without bringing the house down. Found my first apartment. Met my roommates. This was my new world.


Then finally, September 8th. The day after labor day. Moved into my apartment. My room. The freedom was insane :D. Then classes started. Work started. Research work. When I tell friends back home, they laugh. What is research work in India. Made so many more friends. Hung out with my roommates. Went to Times Square. TGIF. Brooklyn Park. It was a dream. Living on my own.

Going to continue this later.

1 comment: