Thursday, September 9, 2010

Why I support the teams I support

I watch a lot of sports. I support teams that play those sports. Why do I support the teams I support - Here's why.


Liverpool F.C. - I got into football only once I started to play it. This was back in December 2004. I had played a few times before, seen a few games. Nothing really caught my attention. It was only in the end of 2004 did I really get into it. Playing every weekend with Vyaas, Avi and the rest of the good ol' footy gang lit a fire in me. I started to love this game! And I started to watch it too. The English Premier League. What everyone was watching. And who did everyone support - Manchester United. I have to admit that I never liked them. Something about the team didn't make me happy. Probably because they were the best team at the time. They dominated the 90's and seemed like the first decade of this century would be their's too. So Manchester was out. Arsenal was a team I knew about. Thanks to the many Arsenal memorabilia in Tarun's house. But, something drew me to Liverpool. They aren't the best. They don't play the most beautifully. They were having a lousy season ( though not as bad as last year). Yet, after watching a couple of games, I was in love. I knew the Reds were going to be my team. And they have been ever since. I am thrilled when they win. Depressed when they lose. Excited when they sign someone new. Disappointed when they don't sign people good enough. I know, This is my team. Always. Forever. You'll never walk alone.



Chennai Super Kings - It's really hard to grow up in India and not be a fan of cricket. Cricket has been an international game since it was thought of. India vs. Australia. England vs. New Zealand. It's always been countries. Until the IPL came along. The idea of a cricket league on the lines of the football leagues in Europe was a brilliant idea (to me). A way to mix the best Indian talent with a few foriegn greats battling each other for the pride of a city a lot of the players probably don't call home. Sounds weird. Though something along the same lines was created in the ICL, it being unofficial didn't really excite anyone. When the IPL was announced, people knew this was going to be big. And obviously, Chennai got a team. It's home team. The Chennai Super Kings. The Men in Yellow. Then came the auction which was followed by M.S.Dhoni , Matthew Hayden, Muttiah Muralitharan , Makhaya Ntini and a lot more. The fever started. Watching every game, at home or with friends. Going to a few games. This was it. This was my team.



Los Angeles Lakers - I have always loved basketball. Playing every Sunday at 4 at school with the guys is something I really miss. And I think I've been watching it for even longer. I think my first memories of watching basketball was when Jordan won that 5th title with the Bulls. That was probably the only team I knew then. I remember (vaguely) watching the Finals with Karthik Anna. Then came a lull. I didn't really follow the game as much as I would have liked too. I watched random games here and there. The Nets vs. The Lakers. Allen Iverson in the NBA Finals. Then I watched the 2006 finals between the San Antonio Spurs and the Cleveland Cavaliers. When LeBron lost 0-4. Then one of my all time favorites moved to the Celtics. I wanted to see Kevin Garnett with a Championship. Did that make me a Celtics fan? Not really. Because I wanted Dirk Nowitzki to win one too. And Steve Nash. And Jason Kidd. Then the Lakers won. I kinda never liked the Lakers. No particular reason or such. I knew they were a great team. Then fast forward to the NBA Finals 2010. Sid invites me to Game 1. I go. The Forum changed it all. I was hooked. It was the entire setting. The game. The place. The crowd. Being drunk helped too I guess. I loved it. I wanted to be a Laker fan. All my previous notions were out of the window. I wanted this. I wanted this to be my team.



Pittsburgh Steelers - This could be more because of family than anything else. Though I have to admit that the first NFL game I ever saw was the Steelers vs. the Seahawks. Superbowl something. Ashwin Anna was at home and we watched the game together. It's very possible that I wouldn't know anything about the game if it wasn't for him. Who knows anything about the NFL outside this continent anyway. I guess it made things easier for me about whom to support. I like the Steelers now. They are the team I support.




I love these teams !!!

GO LIVERPOOL.

GO CHENNAI.

GO LAKESHOW.

GO STEELERS.

My Teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment