Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Things I seem to have forgotten.

Last week I was on the NY subway, returning home from school when I got thinking. I was reading Raymond Khoury's The Sign (Not that it has anything to do with the post), when I tried to remember the route to my friend Vipul's house in Chennai(HOME!). How and why this thought popped into my head, I don't know. It was just something random. Out of the blue. And the worst part of it was, I couldn't remember the way.

Over 4 years of college, I must have gone to Vipul's house at least a thousand times. Easily. It was my second most visited friend's house after Abhinay's probably. I know the route to Abhinay's. I should. It was 3 houses away from my own. I thought, fairly hard about how I used to get to Vipul's on my bike. ZILCH. No idea. Nelson Manickam road and then left ? Right ? I was lost. I knew the street and how the house looked, but how on earth did I get there ?

Something weirder and least expected also happened. I forgot our (my friends and I) usual order at Paramount(a restaurant near home). The usual order that we used to order atleast 3 times a week for a year and a half before I left. Parotta and ? ? Was it butter chicken or was it chicken tikka masala ? This probably hurt me than the other.

Is it that I have been away for so long that I'm forgetting things. Possibly things that I have took for granted that I would remember always. Or have I been so disconnected that they just slipped my mind. Ever since then I've been thinking about routes to places I used to frequent, places I used to frequent, etc. I just hope that when I finally go home for a visit, stuff like this doesn't happen and I won't feel that I missed much.

P.S - In the end, I did remember both and so much more

Atu

2 comments:

  1. that s a very very emotional post that any one who is away from home and friends would connect to... awesum atu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Atu..!!! I am sure u wud never forget..!!! For all between good friendship.. :)

    ReplyDelete